I’ve been wrestling with the idea of a post about binding — but it’s just too huge a topic, so I’ve decided that I’ll do separate posts about the various types of binding a book can get.

It really doesn’t get any simpler than saddle-wire, unless you insist that I should include loose-leaf. The saddle refers to the inverted V-shaped bar over which an opened signature (+ cover, if it’s not self-covered saddle-wire — i.e. uses the outer two leaves of the sig as a cover) is placed while the wire (just staples really) is pushed through the pages at the spine.  The machine is in effect a glorified desk stapler.



For other styles of binding search “binding styles”.